Tuesday, June 2

What I Learned at Six-Points


Today we are counting traffic at 6-points (5-points for those whom don't count the corner with the trees) and are learning a lot about how the intersection works (or doesn't).

So far, our morning session racked up an average 150 cars per signal cycle with the most cars counted at 7:45AM (220 on a cycle). Another bump in numbers was at 8:15/8:30 ...maybe due to nearby schools.

Other interesting observations from the team were, "This intersection works like a well-oiled machine" and "I am surprised how well it does work." The manager for the Payless shoe store told us yesterday that we need a dedicated left turn light on Palmetto. We will probably see more evidence to support that this afternoon.

These are interesting perspectives for us who are sitting at the location for two hours at a time and not needing to get anywhere. Personally, when I am driving through 6-points, I am happy when I sail right through - and less so when I am stuck there an entire cycle (or two).

I noted four bicyclists: The first one was crossing the intersection at 7:10AM, then three from 7:43 to 7:55. All four represented a variety of experiences. Only one with a reflective vest and helmet.

I also noticed, on average per minute, two to three handheld cell phones being used by drivers. Obviously some people don't let 6-points interfere with a good conversation. The police officer that stopped to say "hi" said I would have nailed him too!

This afternoon should prove to be interesting. We took a sneak peak at what we up against yesterday afternoon - scarey! 

See you at 4:00PM, Six Points.

4 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see the results!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to see the results!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you got a good look today between 2:15 and 3:30 PM. Tomorrow the traffic pattern will be completely different at that time since school dismisses early. Every time I've been there right after school, it has been as busy as 5:00 PM. Thanks for doing this. I saw y'all when you were parked at Payless around 10:30 and was wondering what was going on. I think I was on my cell phone too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your comments, Lisa - I wonder if I counted your cell phone usage.

    We tried to get a typical day of traffic before school let out. These numbers should represent the highest potential traffic count... I am still earning and will share more as I get in the know!

    Cheers,
    Scott

    ReplyDelete