Monday, September 13

Planning for the Pedestrian

The latest Florence plan for transportation has a significant focus on alternative ways to get around including by foot!

Downtown Florence improvements that lend to pedestrian traffic.

See the urban area plan here and County plan here.

Recent news from the past two months aren't the only indications of conflicts between walkers and drivers. Oftentimes, I personally see pedestrians crossing Irby Street at various locations to access the library, convenience stores or drug stores. On larger roads like Lucas Street, pedestrians use the shoulders to get where they want to go. There are still other clues of pedestrian use just by looking at the worn path along roads such as National Cemetery Road, Pamplico Highway and Palmetto Street. I am making my own path along Cherokee Road!

A road with limited pedestrian capacity.

There is little doubt that walking is an important mode of transportation.

Obviously, news reports on when pedestrian and car mix improperly usually result in a very bad outcome. Forty-five miles per hour and 3800 lbs. versus a 200 lbs person (I use my own weight, not yours) at 3 miles per hour has terrible odds when they meet. I hope I never find out what that feels like; and with those odds, I probably wouldn't. But I digress. There is a long list of issues that may not be readily apparent to a driver. Pedestrians are oftentimes walking in edges of unkempt yards and trash thanks to our faster transported cohorts (that's a whole other blog). Sometimes pedestrians walk uneven shoulders as is the case on Cherokee Road which has a steep side and a more flat side (although State Law says that you must always be on the left for two-lane roads). I opt for the flat side every time although I am not walking against traffic for half the time.
Some shoulders show signs of heavy pedestrian and bicycle use. 

Other issues include the obvious. Why would someone walk when they have a car (that is, if they have a car): it's either a desire to enjoy a walk through the park over waiting for the light to change, or a necessity. I know I contend with speeding traffic whizzing by, hoping they had their cup of coffee and see to avoid me. I hope the grass is mowed and the sprinklers are off as I walk to work. I hope turning vehicles don't mind waiting a few more seconds so I may cross. I hope the sidewalks I find are in good repair. I hope the suicide lane on Irby Street doesn't morph into a merging lane. I hope the temperature is below 75, but I would be asking for too much by that time. I wish Cherokee Road was a bus route.

In fact, if you live in more rural areas of the county, your transportation options are ever more limited and I am sure you would have to deal with higher grass at the least. In order to live outside of municipal limits, one would certainly need access to a car (or a neighbor with a car!). The American Association of Highway Officials (AASHTO) recently reported that improvements are needed to the "rural transportation system to keep agriculture, new energy products, and freight moving; improve access for the travel, recreation, and tourism industries; connect new and emerging cities; and to ensure reliable access to key defense installations..." However, the lack of multi-modal options in the report stirred the National Rural Assembly (along with YouthBuild USA, the Association of Programs for Rural Independent Living (APRIL), Redwood Coast Rural Action and others.) to counter that "public transit, regional, and inter-modal systems" should be included.

A typical cross-section and traffic of rural roads.

Even through the recent planning process, it's hard to determine the solution of where to utilize limited funds for multi-modal projects. Without much feedback from rural residents, can the assumption be made that everyone has a car there.  Or are rural areas among the only affordable locations to live with transportation continuing to take a bigger share of family income?

PDRTA waiting at the Timmonsville greenway.

Individuals and government agencies consider many factors when planning on that next house to live in or road to improve. What is your perspective on transportation priorities?

No comments:

Post a Comment